Seaside on screen – 20 TV & movie locations
Our coast has been the backdrop for many stunning (and not so stunning) TV & movie locations. Ever wondered where they were filmed or set? Here’s a few TV & movie locations that you might recognise where more often than not, it’s the coast which is the star!
TV & movie locations
(1) Dunnottar Castle, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire – Brave (2012). Animated in this Oscar, Golden Globe and BAFTA winning children’s adventure from Disney Pixar.
(2) West Sands, St Andrews, Chariots of Fire (1981). With music by Vangelis that accompanied the iconic opening shot of athletes running across the sands. Multi Oscar winning British film.
(3) Redcar Beach, Cleveland (also Seven Sisters Cliffs, Sussex (5)), Atonement (2007). Oscar winning adaptation of Ian McEwan’s dramatic novel.
(4) Whitby, Dracula. Where Dracula arrives in Britain in the Bram Stoker Classic of the same name with countless movie adaptations. We like the 1993 version starring Gary Oldman, Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder.
(5) Seven Sisters, Eastbourne, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991). Where Robin (Kevin Costner) arrives in England after returning from fighting in the holy land.
(6) Brighton, Quadrophenia (1979). Cult classic based on ‘The Who’ rock opera with a great young British cast including Phil Daniels, Sting, Leslie Ash, Ray Winstone, Timothy Spall and others.
(7) Fleet Lagoon, Dorset, The Dambusters (1955). Classic World War Two film with an iconic theme tune. Barnes Wallace tested his bouncing bomb on this lagoon behind Chesil Beach.
(8) West Bay, Dorset, Broadchurch. Award winning star-studded TV detective series led by David Tenant and Olivia Colman.
(9) Lyme Regis, The French Lieutenant’s Woman (1981). Oscar nominated film of John Fowles’ novel featuring Lyme Regis’ Cobb Harbour. Bit slippery when wet. Surf break around the back.
(10) Jersey, Bergerac. Classic detective TV series featuring John Nettles before he got promoted and moved to the mainland to solve crimes in Midsommer Murders.
(11) Torquay, Faulty Towers. Legendary BBC TV comedy series featuring John Cleese and Connie Booth set in a fictional hotel in the town. Regularly voted as one the best sitcoms of all time.
(12) Charlestown Harbour, Cornwall, The Three Musketeers (1993), The Eagle Has Landed (1976), Alice in Wonderland (2010), Poldark latest TV series. This go-to place for a quaint little Cornish Harbour has featured in more television programmes and movies than you can shake a selfie stick at. These are just a few.
(13) + (14) Botallack Mine, St Agnes Head, Porthgwarra Cove, Porthcurno and more, Poldark TV series (2015). Latest TV series adaptation of Winston Graham novels. Featuring many stunning views of the Cornish coast.
(15) Northern Ireland, Game of Thrones. Lots of this hit TV show has been shot in Northern Ireland.
(16) Port Isaac, Doc Martin. Super-popular prime time TV show featuring Martin Clunes in ‘Port Wenn’- otherwise known as Port Isaac.
(17) Barry Island, Gavin and Stacey. What’s not to love ? Great British talent occurring in this multi-award winning sitcom.
(18) Freshwater West, Pembrokeshire, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1. Potter fans believe this to be the location where Dobby the House Elf sadly met his end, Buried by Harry Potter in the sand.
(19) Skellig Michael off the coast of County Kerry, Ireland, Star Wars – The Force Awakens. Not actually the UK but it’s Star Wars so it’s going in the top 20. This amazing world heritage site features in the final scene where Rey tracks down Luke Skywalker.
(20) Eilean Donan Castle Scotland, Highlander (1986). This imposing castle has featured in many films and television programmes.
Want to find out more or join a tour?
Here’s a movie locations pop quiz! Claim 10 OCEANROCKS points if you can hum all the tunes below:
Chariots of Fire main theme music
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves chart topper by Bryan Adams
The Dam Busters theme tune
Pinball Wizard by ‘the Who’
Bergerac theme tune (good luck with that)
Star Wars (easy one to end with)
Visit our shop
Free delivery on orders over £25!
100% Organic Cotton| Secure Online Shopping